Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Other News


I was so very pleased to be able to go to the Walker Art Center for the Minneapolis leg of the Rag + Bone Poetry Tour. They cultivated a wonderful conversation about the American ideal of movement: self-reinvention, seeking the self, and reasons one leaves and is left. Jakob VanLammeren and Amy Lipman were accompanied by another Midwest poet, Katie Rauk. It was refreshing to get out of Albert Lea and experience poetry again.


Aside from traveling northward to see Rag + Bone in action, I have been busying myself with summer work: gardening, writing, and of course, getting rejected (see: last post).


I found a fantastic Smith-Corona typewriter at a local antique shop for twenty-five dollars and had to pick it up. I had an old electric typewriter a few years ago that got a lot of miles out of it. It was gifted to me by my good pal Brent Chamberlin of James and the Drifters. It later broke, and knowing nothing about how to repair typewriters or even how to find somebody who might know how to repair typewriters, I left it in a closet in my old apartment when I moved out.


Now I have this beauty to fiddle around with.


The red bookshelf it's sitting on in the picture was a same-day find at the Salvation Army. The side of the bookshelf says "Rambo" in black paint. I've never had a bookshelf with a name before.


Thankfully another summer activity I've been indulging myself with is watching my poetry go up in several online journals.


Last week a poem of mine went up on Everyday Genius, and not long after that, three of my poems kicked off an excellent issue of NAP magazine, which you can find here.


It's been a busy summer so far, and will only get better. In two weeks Will and I are going down to Florida, and at the beginning of August, we will begin our enormous road trip out East. Hopefully we will be able to get some more night boating in among the journeys. Maybe next time without the boat police pulling us over.

No comments:

Post a Comment